Countdown to IronMan

Countdown to IronMan

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

First Half Ironman in the books!

It was a very windy day but I was able to finish the Race for Recovery in Monroe Michigan on Sunday, June 3! 

This was my first race of the season!  Instead of slowly getting back in to race season I decided to just go for the Half Ironman!



  • Swim (1.2miles): Very cold and choppy.  My arms got real tired trying to swim over all the waves in Lake Erie.  But all in all not bad for my first open water swim of the season...I took 4th place in my age group (40-45)!

    
    Coming in from a tough bike ride!
    
  • Bike (56miles):  Very windy.  At times I think the winds hit 30 mph!  Riding into the wind the majority of the ride took a lot out of me.  I was able to finish with a respectable time but tired.

  • Run (13.1 miles):  Tired legs, still windy and hot!  Started out strong...probably ran 8:30 miles for the first 3 miles but then the bike work started to hit me.  After that the key for me on the run is to not stop moving.   I finished about 11 minutes slower than my goal pace on the run but I was happy considering the conditions and this being my first race of the season.
70.3 in the books! 
Hard to imagine, Louisville is double this!
All in all, a good first race of the season.  

With all my other activities going on (baseball, soccer, work, etc) I can't do a lot of races so I jumped right into a Half Ironman!  Probably would have preferred a shorter distance first but no time to wait!

After the race I quickly grabbed my gear and headed back home to coach my son's baseball game.  We won 7-1.  All in all not a bad day for a wanna be IronDad.  :)



Thank you all very much for your continued support to help us meet our 2012 goals!   SPARTY ON!


GO GREEN! and GO BLUE! too

To donate in honor of my father in law RALPH RICHARD please click on the following link:



Thank you all very much for your continued support to help us meet our 2012 goals!   SPARTY ON!


GO GREEN! and GO BLUE! too

To donate in honor of my father in law RALPH RICHARD please click on the following link:


Don't forget about the Ralph Richard Memorial golf outing on August 2, 2012 at Lyon Oaks golf course in Wixom Michigan.  We are still looking for golfers and sponsors for this event. 

All proceeds go to the UMCCC.  Please see link for more details!

No comments:

Post a Comment