Countdown to IronMan

Countdown to IronMan

Sunday, July 24, 2011

Hot and Humid!

Friends and Family,
I am in the dog days of my training with just under 50 days until my race.  It has been hard balancing training with work and family but everyone has been incredibly supportive.  Last week was hard with average temperatures in the upper 90s ... I lost 5 pounds in one day.   At this point, I would like to thank everyone who has been following this blog and who have donated...I would love to exceed my charity goals for the year!

This year, 44,030 Americans are expected to be diagnosed with pancreatic cancer.

Awareness is growing but still not where it needs to be.  This Sunday the Detroit Free Press ran an article highlighting the reality of this cancer and lack of research dollars focusing on early screening and detection.   Detroit Free Press July 23, 2011

The exact cause of pancreatic cancer is still largely unknown, but certain factors are known as risk factors. The following factors are known to increase the risk of developing pancreatic cancer: age, gender, race, cigarette smoking, diet, diabetes, environment and family history.   Pancreatic cancer has been understudied in both basic research laboratories and the clinic. In terms of total research dollars, total numbers of researchers, and numbers of researchers who are highly focused on this disease, pancreatic cancer lags significantly behind.

To donate please visit my fundraising site:

Thank you in advance for your generosity for this worthy cause that is so important to me and my family!

No comments:

Post a Comment