Countdown to IronMan

Countdown to IronMan

Monday, May 23, 2011

Century Club !


What a weekend, my first 100 mile ride under my belt, plus a long run and open water swim!  
Century ride was a great experience…especially since I didn’t quite know what to expect – physically or mentally.  I never went over 80 miles before ever.

It was perfect weather conditions for a ride when we started at 5am.   My main goal was to finish strong and enjoy; not overly concerned with my time.  For me it was more mental since this would be my longest ride ever.  My game plan was simple – stay strong and hydrate….I focused throughout the ride on hydration and nutrition and at the end I think I have a good idea on the right approach for my body.  I followed a similar approach for Steelhead and it worked well.

First 50 miles I moved up and down with our group and talked to a lot of people.   Mark R and I met up in Dexter (around mile 50) and rode the last half together.  We were a great team keep each other motivated since this was both of our first 100 mile ride and also reminding each other to hydrate.  For the entire ride I kept a strong pace and the only issue physically I had was my lower back was sore; towards around mile 80 my legs began to fatigue but I just focused on riding through it.  Mentally having gone 100 feels great and all I have to do next time is run another 26.2 miles!  J

RACE NOTE:  I am racing my first Olympic distance race (.9 mile swim, 28 mile bike, 6.5 mile run) of the year next Saturday (May 28th) so please check back and see how I did!

To donate please visit my fundraising site:

Thank you in advance for your generosity for this worthy cause that is so important to me and my family!

We had a couple team members on the group ride get into an accident so our thoughts and prayers are with them for a speedy recovery.

No comments:

Post a Comment